I don’t use my slow cooker often enough. At first, I was a little intimidated by it, thinking I would somehow mess up dinner, but every time I have used it, dinner was always perfect and tasted so much better than cooking the same thing in the oven. Making slow cooker whole chicken (or almost any other meal), you can add as much or as little ingredients as you want, and it always comes out great.
There’s nothing better after a long day than to sit down for a dinner that you didn’t have to slave over. Put all ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning, go and do errands and your food is ready just in time for dinner!
This slow cooker whole chicken recipe will give you a nice and juicy chicken and fork-tender vegetables every time!
- 5-pound chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 6 whole peeled carrots
- 4-8 large red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of oil or melted butter
- 1 yellow onion (optional)
- Remove giblets from chicken, rinse and pat dry
- combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano and paprika into the oil, mix and slather on the chicken
- Wash vegetables, cut potatoes in halves, peel carrots and cut into 1/3 pieces.
- Place the carrots and potatoes at the bottom of your slow cooker and place chicken over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-9 hours. The juices should run clear when chicken is done. The time will depend on the size of the chicken and your slow cooker
Tip: I like to cook my chicken when it’s half-frozen; this produces more broth, which can be used for other recipes.
5. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan and place under the broiler for 5-10 minutes to get that crispy golden skin.
This recipe fed 8 of us (4 adults and 4 children), with a little leftover to feed another person.