The West Nile Virus is spreading across North America, but you can help protect yourself and your customers from the mosquitoes that transmit the West Nile Virus and other diseases, with Watkins Insect Repellents.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), DEET is the most effective repellent for protection against the West Nile Virus. DEET does not kill mosquitoes, it repels them, making the person unattractive for biting and feeding. Mosquitoes will not land on clothing or skin that is covered with DEET. However, if exposed skin is not covered with DEET, the mosquito can find it. Therefore, it is important to cover all exposed areas of skin and/or clothing with DEET-containing repellent.
The more DEET a repellent contains, the longer time it can protect you from mosquito bites. Based on a recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, a product containing 23.8% DEET provided an average of 5 hours of protection from mosquitoes, with a maximum of 6 hours. Products with 4.75% DEET provided just 1 1/2 hours of protection.
Mayo Clinic recommends the following guidelines for protection from mosquito-borne illnesses:
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when going into mosquito-infested areas.
- Apply an insect repellent that contains 20% to 30% DEET.
- Repellents with more than 30% DEET offer no added protection.
- Spray clothing with insect repellent, as mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing.
- Place mosquito netting over infant carriers when you are outdoors with infants.
- Repels mosquitoes, Blackflies, Biting Midges, Deer Flies, Stable Flies, Ticks and Chiggers.
- Helps prevent West nile virus and lyme disease
- Features a mild scent and a non-aerosol formula
- Convenient application
- Used by the Canadian military and law enforcement for more than 30 years
With five family cottages on our property you can bet that there is always someone looking for sunblock or insect repellent somewhere. Everyone who tried Great Outdoors quickly noticed how mildly scented the products were. A lot of people were also surprised to learn about DEET and how a higher percentage only means a longer lasting product. Doesn’t matter how old we are, we learn something new every day…